During the fall and winter months, it is so comforting at night to have a warm cooked meal on the table. The problem with that is we don’t always have the time to be in the kitchen for hours on the weeknight. This recipe helps bring both together by giving you a delicious meal that can be ready in less than 30 minutes. This is a fun Mexican spin on a traditional shredded chicken. The beer, limes, and dried chiles blend together for a tangy, citrusy chicken that has just a hint of heat. We love this recipes because there are endless options for how you can use this chicken. We put it in tacos, over salad, or even on a burger bun- you can truly incorporate this any way you would like. We have found through some trial and error that our favorite beer for this recipe is a lighter ale, specifically, Corona. The key to cooking with any alcohol is that if you like to drink it, you will likely enjoy eating it as well. So if you don’t like Corona, just swap it out for something that suits you.
Beer Braised Instant Pot Chicken
A quick & easy recipe for shredded chicken that is perfect for tacos, enchiladas, and salads.
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 tbs kosher salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp cumin
- 4 dried guajillo chilis (these can be found in the Mexican section of most grocery stores)
- 6 oz Corona Beer or another beer of your choosing
- 1 package boneless, skinless chicken thighs (~6 chicken thighs)
- 1 lime, cut into segments
- Put the Instant Pot on the sauté setting and add the olive oil and onion. Sauté for 5 minutes until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the salt, pepper cumin, chilis, beer, and limes to the pot and give everything a quick stir. Place the chicken breasts into the Instant Pot and try to submerge them in the liquid as much as possible. It’s ok if they are not fully submerged. Switch the Instant Pot setting to the Pressure Cook setting on High and set for 12 minutes.
- Use the quick release once the chicken has finished cooking. Use two large forks to shred the chicken. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve in tacos with rice and salad or in any other format you would like!