Tuck’s dad watched the documentary “Game Changers” on Netflix a few weeks ago and has been trying to eat vegan as much as possible since. Inspired by our usual Chipotle order, we made these tofu burrito bowls. We love the taste and texture of the tofu – it is loaded with spices and crumbled to resemble taco meat.This recipe falls into the semi-homemade category because we have purchased a majority of the burrito bowl toppings pre-made at the grocery store. We have included a recipe for the black bean and corn salsa, but you can purchase a similar product at the grocery store if you want to skip that step as well. Thanks to these grocery store helpers, this recipe comes together in under 30 minutes and is a healthy, filling recipe for a weeknight dinner.
Semi-Homemade Vegan Burrito Bowls
Makes: 4 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes Total Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients for the Burrito Bowls:
- 1 box firm tofu
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 package cilantro lime Right Rice (can sub pre-cooked brown rice)
- pico de gallo
- guacamole (you can use our recipe or buy it pre-made from the store!)
Ingredients for the Corn & Black Bean Salsa
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large ear of corn, kernels removed
- juice of 2 limes
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup lightly packed cilantro
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove the tofu from its packaging and drain any excess water. Use paper towel or a kitchen towel to press the tofu and remove as much liquid from it as you can. Crumble the tofu and put it onto a cookie sheet, sprayed with cooking spray. Season the tofu well with taco seasoning, using your hands to coat well. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until it is crispy but not dry.
- While the tofu is cooking, cook the Right Rice according to package directions. It will take about 12 minutes to cook once you bring the water to a boil.
- While the Right Rice is cooking, make the black bean and corn salsa. Gently mix all of the ingredients in the salsa (black beans – cumin) together in a large mixing bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Assemble the burrito bowls. Divide the Right Rice, tofu, and black bean salsa evenly amongst four bowls. Top with guacamole, pico de gallo, and any of your other favorite taco bowl ingredients.