We love the summertime and the food possibilities when we are in full blown fruit season. There is no better snack than a piece of watermelon or mango topped with a hearty pour of Tajin- a Mexican chili lime spice mix. You can find Tajin at most grocery stores and Trader Joe’s makes a comparable product as well. The heat from the chili powder, lime, and salt makes the fruit taste sweeter and come alive. We used that summer snack as inspiration to make this Spicy Watermelon Salad. It is a sweet and savory fruit salad that makes a great side dish for any summer party or your Memorial Day menu this weekend.
Spicy Watermelon Salad
Makes: 4 servings as a side dish
Prep Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients For the Salad:
- 1 mini watermelon (about 3 lbs before carving)
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup queso fresco, crumbled
- 1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
Ingredients For the Dressing:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 to 1 tsp chili powder depending on your crowd
- juice and zest of one lime
- 1 tbs honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Make the dressing for the salad. Whisk together the olive oil, chili powder, lime zest and juice, and honey in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Carve the watermelon so that the watermelon is in large, bite-sized pieces. We have a quick tutorial for this on our Instagram highlights, linked here. Put the watermelon and sliced red onion in a large bowl and cover with the dressing. Gently toss to coat. The two ingredients can easily sit in the dressing for a bit to marinate if you need to make this dish in advance. Just drain some of the excess liquid before serving.
- Finish the salad by layering the watermelon with red onion, queso fresco, and cilantro in a serving dish. Season to taste with salt, pepper, or additional lime before serving.