We were recently at Whole Foods and so excited because we found fresh figs for the first time in a while! We used dried figs in our Bruschetta Board that we posted last week and still had them on the brain when it came to making a menu this week! Sometimes simple is best, and this salad is just that. High quality ingredients with a simple vinaigrette and boom, we have a beautiful salad that pairs well with most menus this summer.
Fig, Walnut, & Blue Cheese Salad
Makes: 4 appetizer servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 15 minutes
- 6 cups arugula
- 8 fresh figs, stems removed and cut in half
- 1 wedge good quality blue cheese- if you hate blue cheese like Tate’s mom, goat works well too
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients For Dressing:
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 tbs dijon mustard
- 1 tbs balsamic glaze or 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make the dressing by whisking the dressing ingredients (olive oil through garlic) in a small mixing bowl. If you want a really creamy texture to your dressing, you can make this in a blender, otherwise, whisk until well combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat a small saute pan over medium heat. Add the walnuts and toast them until they become fragrant- about 4 minutes. Remove them from the pan and season well with salt.
- In the same pan, heat the butter until it becomes bubbly. Add the figs cut side down and let them caramelize for a few minutes. This helps bring out their sweetness and gives them a little crust.
- Assemble the salad by layering the arugula, figs, walnuts, and blue cheese. Drizzle the dressing over top and season with a good amount of black pepper.