There is something so “summer” about caprese salad. We have posted a number of versions since having the blog and continue that trend today with a spin on this Half Baked Harvest rendition. Tieghan posted this recipe a few years ago and we love the addition of the prosciutto for a salty punch and the bulgur to bulk it up into an entrée. We made a few changes, like adding arugula for some extra greens, but the essence of the recipe stays the same: everything we love about caprese with some added fun ingredients to make this traditional side dish the star of the show.
Arugula & Bulgur Caprese
Makes: 4 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes Total Time: 40 minutes
Ingredients For The Salad:
- 8 cups lightly packed arugula
- 1 1/2 cups bulgur
- 4 oz thinly sliced prosciutto, ripped into bite sized pieces
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 container bite-sized fresh mozzarella balls
Ingredients For The Dressing:
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 tbs dijon mustard
- 2 tbs balsamic glaze or balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp honey (use this only if you used balsamic vinegar, not glaze)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the bulgur according to package directions, anywhere from 12 – 30 minutes depending on the type you have purchased. When the bulgur has finished cooking, pour it into a colander to drain any excess water and let it cool.
- While the bulgur is cooking make the dressing. Whisk the olive oil -> garlic together in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Make the salad by combining the bulgur, arugula, prosciutto, tomatoes, and mozzarella balls in a large mixing bowl. It’s okay to combine the salad if the bulgur is warm, but if it is scorching hot you’ll want to wait until it cools or rinse it with cool water before combining. Add the dressing over the top and gently mix to combine. Serve immediately.