Summer squash season is quickly approaching and we couldn’t be more excited! We love to use zucchini and yellow squash all summer, particularly prepared raw as a nice change from all of the hearty squash dishes we eat. This recipe calls for the squash to be shaved- which we do by rotating the squash around with a vegetable peeler. We love the resulting ribbony texture which makes it feel like we are eating a hearty pasta salad as opposed to a vegetable dish. To finish, we added fresh burrata, Parmesan cheese, and a healthy drizzle of olive oil. This is a dish we will eat on repeat all summer long- it goes with just about everything!
Shaved Summer Squash Salad with Burrata
Makes: 6 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 15 minutes
- 3 zucchini
- 3 yellow summer squash
- 4 cups+ arugula
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 package burrata, drained
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbs olive oil
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk the olive oil, lemon zest, and lemon juice in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper- set aside.
- Use a vegetable peeler to shave the zucchini and yellow squash into ribbons. As you get toward the seeded center the ribbons will start to fall apart. Stop at this point and save the remaining part of each squash for a soup or stir-fry. Keep only the ribbons.
- Lay the arugula onto a large serving platter. Drizzle with 2/3 of the dressing and give it a good toss. Add the ribbons on top of the arugula and drizzle with the remaining dressing.
- Make sure the burrata is well drained and add it to the top of the ribbons. Drizzle with the remaining 2 tbs olive oil. Top with the Parmesan cheese and season well with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.