We. Love. Cauliflower. Can you tell by the crazy number of recipes we have posted using it?! It is a hearty and versatile versatile vegetable that combines well with just about any flavor combination. Lately we have used it in our Semi-Homemade Cauliflower Bowls, and as the base for a sauce in our Cauliflower Mac & Cheese. For this version we have cut the cauliflower into thick steaks and serve it with a lemony, herby caper sauce. They could easily be a main course for a vegetarian meal or can be served as a robust side dish. We love this simple sauce drizzled over the top to give the cauliflower a salty, citrusy punch of flavor.
Cauliflower Steaks with Herby Caper Sauce
Makes: 4 side dish servings; 2 main course servings
Prep Time: 40 minutes Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 medium head of cauliflower
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbs olive oil
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup packed flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup capers, drained
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Remove the leaves from the head of cauliflower and carefully remove the excess stem that is not connected to the cauliflower florets. You want to leave some of the stem so that the “steaks” remain intact when you slice the cauliflower. Slice the cauliflower into 4 thick slices and lay on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle the 2 tbs of olive oil over the cauliflower and toss well to coat. Season generously with salt and pepper and put into the oven. Bake the cauliflower for 20 minutes; remove from the oven, carefully flip it with and spatula, and bake another 15-20 minutes. The cauliflower should be dark golden brown on the outsides.
- While the cauliflower is roasting, make the vinaigrette. Whisk the olive oil, lemon zest and juice, Dijon mustard, and garlic together in a small bowl. Add the parsley, capers, and red pepper flakes, whisking well to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- When the cauliflower has finished cooking, remove it from the oven and use a spatula to transfer it to a serving dish. Serve with a generous pour of the caper sauce and serve immediately.