Lunches can sometimes be one of the hardest things for us to pull together during the week. With juggling schedules, working from home, taking care of the dogs and kids, it is just plain hard right now to pull together good meals! We have brought semi-homemade Monday in to save the day. We leverage rotisserie chicken and basic store ingredients. This salad is extremely flavorful, filled with fresh vegetables and comes together in less than 30 minutes.
Semi-Homemade Barbecue Chicken Salad
Makes: 6 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes Total: 30 minutes
Ingredients for the dressing:
- 1/2 cup of ketchup
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 1 tbs Worcestershire
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbs smokey hot sauce (or any hot sauce you have on hand)
- 1 tbs honey
- 1/2 cup ranch dressing
Ingredients for the salad:
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 cup of frozen corn
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 3 heads of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 lb cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 rotisserie chicken (available at most major supermarkets), chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Make the dressing. Combine the dressing ingredients (ketchup – honey) in a sauce pan over low heat. Continuously stir the dressing until the brown sugar is dissolved. The BBQ does not need to come to a boil. Remove the sauce from the heat and into a bowl. Add the ranch dressing and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Rinse out the pan. Add the olive oil, corn and jalapeno. Sauté on low for 5-10 minutes until the corn is fully heated through. If the mixture seems dry, add 1/4 cup of water.
- Assemble the salad. Add the romaine, black beans, cherry tomatoes and chicken in a bowl. Toss with the BBQ ranch dressing until the salad is thoroughly coated.
- Top with cheddar cheese and avocado and serve cold!