Summer is officially on the way and with it comes tomato season! We love to grow our own tomatoes and pick them up from the farmers market. You can not beat the taste of a fresh, seasonal tomato. We wanted to fancy up a simple chicken recipe and opted to made a “bruschetta” style grilled chicken for summer. The tomato, basil, and caper topping is perfectly refreshing on chicken and a great entrée for any cookout this summer. The recipe is light and simple, but bursting with flavor. For easy entertaining, you can make the bruschetta mix a few hours ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator. We prefer the mix to be closer to room temperature so pull it out of the fridge about 30 minutes before you plan to serve the chicken.
- 3 large chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 large tomatoes on the vine, diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbs capers, drained
- 1/3 cup lightly packed basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbs balsamic glaze
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat (about 400 degrees).
- Mix the 1/4 cup olive oil, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper together in a small mixing bowl. Drizzle the mixture over the chicken breasts and toss well to coat. Grill the chicken for 7-8 minutes per side, or about 15 minutes total. The juices of the chicken should run clear and the chicken should have an internal temp of 165 degrees. Gently tent the chicken with foil after it has come off the grill and let is rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- While the chicken is cooking, make the bruschetta topping. Dice the tomatoes and rid them of as much of their seeds as possible. Put them in a medium mixing bowl along with the remaining bruschetta ingredients (red onion – balsamic glaze). Use a spoon to gently toss to combine all of the ingredients. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside until the chicken has finished resting.
- After the chicken has finished resting, slice it into 1/2 inch thick slices. Serve the sliced chicken on a platter and generously top with the bruschetta mix. Serve immediately.