We are approaching Memorial Day Weekend, which means that it is officially #WatermelonSeason. We love watermelon in the summer, and are particularly into mixing the sweet fruit with savory toppings for something unexpected. To prepare for this weekend’s barbecue festivities, we are making loads of these kabobs with watermelon, mint, and halloumi cheese. Halloumi is a firm, salty cheese found in Greek recipes, and often times it is fried to create a crispy exterior and soft, melty interior. The combination of the crispy salty cheese, sweet and juicy watermelon, and fresh mint doesn’t sound like it works together, but trust us… it is seriously delicious. To tie it all together we drizzle it with a spicy lemon olive oil for a perfect barbecue appetizer or side dish.
Watermelon & Halloumi Kabobs
- 14, 5 inch kabob skewers
- 1 8 oz package halloumi cheese, cut into small bite sized pieces
- 1/2 of a large watermelon, rind cut away and cut into bite sized, square pieces
- 1 package fresh mint leaves, left whole
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbs olive oil
- zest and juice of one lemon
- pinch of chili flakes, to taste
- salt and pepper
- Whisk the 1/3 cup olive oil, lemon zest and juice, and chili flakes together in a small bowl. We like to be generous with the chili flakes for this dish, but use your best judgement based on who is eating the kabobs. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat a large saute pan with 1 tbs of olive oil over medium-high heat. Carefully place the halloumi into the pan in an even layer. Cook the halloumi for 2-3 minutes per side, flipping the halloumi as necessary so that most of the sides are browned and the cheese is starting to melt. Remove the cheese from the pan onto a dry surface to assemble the kabobs.
- Assemble the kabobs by alternating the watermelon, mint leaves, and halloumi onto each of the kabobs. We like to layer mint between the watermelon and the cheese so that the watermelon doesn’t make the cheese soggy. This helps keep the kabobs fresher, longer. When each of the kabobs is filled, lay onto a serving platter. Drizzle with the lemon and chili oil and serve immediately.