We aren’t sure if our Yom Kippur “break-the-fast” dinner is one of our favorite meals because it is breakfast-for-dinner on steroids, or if it’s one of our favorite dinners because we have spent the previous 24 hours abstaining from food. In normal (non-Covid) years, our mom hosts a huge Break-The-Fast with a bunch of our family friends. Everyone contributes to the menu and we usually have everything from Baked French Toast, to our Green Chili Egg Bake, to coffeecake and cookies. The star of the show, however, is the giant buffet of Jewish deli bagels and accompaniments. Today we are giving you a quick rundown of our favorite must-haves, and how to present them to wow your starving Yom Kippur guests or anyone coming over for a fun weekend brunch. As with any of our board recipes, you can make as much of the board ingredients as you like from scratch, but can easily cut back on time and effort by purchasing the items pre-made.
Break-The-Fast Jewish Deli Board
Makes: 8 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes if you buy everything pre-made
- 8 assorted bagels, sliced
- 16 oz whipped cream cheese
- 16 oz smoked white fish
- 16 oz egg salad
- 1 lb lox (smoked salmon)
- 2 heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 8 oz cherry tomatoes, halved if they are large
- 1 cucumber, sliced on a bias
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 boiled eggs, cut in half
- 8 oz mixed olives (we used kalamata and castelvetrano)
- Mixed herbs (dill, parsley, chives) for garnish, optional
- Put the dips (cream cheese, white fish and egg salad) into small ramekins for serving on the board. Top each with appropriate garnishes and place on the board. We like to top the white fish with dill sprigs, the egg salad with chives, and the cream cheese with Everything Bagel Seasoning. Place each of the ramekins on the board, along with the smoked salmon.
- Add to the board with slices of tomato, cucumber, red onion, and avocado in various places, alternating with different vegetables in different spaces to distribute colors and ingredients to all sides of the board.
- Fill in the board with cherry tomatoes, hard boiled eggs, and mixed olives. Serve with sliced bagels and utensils for each of the spreads.