The other night we were craving Mexican food and enchiladas was one of the first things that came to mind. Enchiladas are not normally on our menu rotation and we thought this was a fun way to mix up our routine. This recipe is a bit homemade and a bit store bought. By using pre-made enchilada sauce instead of making our own, we found that we were able to save time and not compromise flavor. The result of this dish is a cheesy, savory, can’t stop eating until you are licking the plate kind of dinner that the whole family will love.
Prep Time: 20 minutes Total Time: 35 minutes
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1- 4.5 oz can diced green chiles
- 2 tbs chili powder
- 2 tsp cayenne powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 package of tortillas (we used whole wheat, but whatever floats your boat will do)
- 4 cups of enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheddar
- Optional toppings: sour cream, guacamole, olives, cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a deep pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and sauté for 5 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Add in the ground beef and use a spatula to break the beef up into small pieces. Continue to “chop” and stir the beef for 5 minutes, or until the beef is mostly cooked through. Add the green chiles, chili powder, cayenne powder and salt and stir until all of the ingredients are well incorporated and the beef is thoroughly cooked (about 2 minutes). Remove from the heat.
- Put 1/4 – 1/2 cup of the beef mixture into a tortilla and roll in up as thinly as possible. This does not have to be perfect, just try to be consistent with portions. Place the tortilla in a large baking dish (must be at least 2 inches deep). Continue this process until the baking dish is full with tortillas. If you have extra ground beef, pour it over the top of the tortillas.
- Pour the enchilada sauce evenly over the top of the tortillas. You will want to be sure the tortillas are fully covered. Sprinkle the cheese on top and place in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Serve warm and top with sour cream, guacamole or any other extras you would like!