As we have mentioned in previous posts, we love our local Middle Eastern grocery store, Arash. They have some of the best quality lamb, chicken and traditional Middle Eastern ingredients that we can find in the area. When we go we always buy a giant block of French feta, which is less salty and creamier than the feta you can find at a regular grocery store. We created this dish chicken and green beans dish as a quick, one pan dinner and have since made it a number of times. The feta melts into the white wine and creates the most delicious sauce for the chicken and green beans. We can have dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes which is always a major win on a weeknight.
Chicken with Feta & Green Beans
Makes: 4 servings
Prep TIme: 15 minutes Total Time: 30 minutes
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 6-8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs- depending on their size
- 1/2 yellow onion, small dice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup French feta, divided
- 1 1/2 lbs green beans, stems trimmed
- 2/3 green olives, without pits, halved
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet or oven-safe saute pan over medium-high heat. Add 2 tbs olive oil to the pan and let it get nice and hot. Season the chicken thighs generously with salt and pepper. Add the chicken thighs to the pan and cook for 3 minutes per side, or until both sides are starting to crisp up and brown. If the chicken seems overcrowded in the pan do this step in two separate batches. When the chicken has finished browning, remove it from the pan onto a plate, leaving any juices from the chicken behind.
- Add the remaining 1 tbs of olive oil back to the pan along with the yellow onion and garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes or until the garlic is starting to brown. Add the white wine, chicken stock, and lemon juice and zest into the pan. Whisk well to combine and cook for a minute or two to let some of the alcohol in the wine cook off. Add 1/2 cup of the feta cheese, again whisking as the cheese starts to melt into the sauce.
- Add the green beans and olives to the pan; give them a good toss in the sauce to coat. Season with just a little salt and pepper. Add the chicken back into the pan on top of the green beans and add the remaining 1/2 cup feta on top of the chicken. Place in the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the juices on the chicken run clear and it is cooked through. Serve immediately.