One of our biggest challenges when getting out the door in the morning is making sure that we are put together and fed before starting the work day. The. Struggle. Is. Real. To combat the “Sunday scaries” and make the weekday mornings easier, we put together this quick and easy overnight oats recipe. After 10 minutes in the kitchen on a Sunday we have a full week of breakfasts ready to go in the refrigerator.
We love this base recipe for overnight oats. Flax seeds give the oats protein and fiber while the chia seeds add antioxidants and omega-3s. We chose to make these strawberry and coconut flavored with spring on the way, but the base recipe lends itself to nearly any flavor profile you can think of. Feel free to add some toppings like additional strawberries, coconut, and hemp seeds as we have in these photos if you want to feel extra fancy on a weekday morning. We, however, will be slamming them down in the car while attempting to put on makeup and get to work on time.
Strawberry Coconut Overnight Oats
Makes: 5- 8 oz servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes Inactive Time: 24 hours
- 5 – 8 oz mason jars or travel containers
- 1 1/3 cups instant oats
- 3 cups coconut beverage (almond milk or any dairy item will work)
- 2 tbs honey or agave
- 1/3 cup chia seeds
- 1/3 cup flax seeds
- 1/3 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 6 strawberries, stems removed and sliced
- Combine all of the above ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Stir well to make sure everything is combined.
- Carefully pour the oatmeal mix into each of the five mason jars- they will be almost all of the way full. Seal each with a lid and place in the refrigerator.
- Refrigerate overnight and serve chilled, with additional toppings if you desire. The oats are good for up to five days in the refrigerator.