We were introduced to this sandwich during our college days when a good friend (shoutout Sweet Then Savory) made us her mom’s version. It is perfect for an easy, at home, social distancing St. Patrick’s Day celebration. This sandwich is everything that is good about St. Patrick’s Day in one handheld treasure. Corned Beef? Check. Cabbage? Check. Add in some melty Swiss cheese and Hawaiian bread and you have yourself a killer meal.
You can choose your own adventure with this recipe when it comes to cooking the corned beef. Most major groceries sell pre-cooked corned beef which cuts down your cook time and prep time tremendously. If you get an uncooked corned beef, follow the cooking instructions on the label and continue on with this recipe to assemble the sandwiches. Either way, we promise you will be happy with the end result.
Semi-Homemade Corned Beef Sandwiches
Makes: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 package of pre-cooked corned beef
- 1 head of cabbage
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 package of pre-sliced Swiss cheese
- 1 package of 12 rolls of Hawaiian bread
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Heat the corned beef per the package instructions. The kind that we used instructed us to heat the corned beef in the microwave for about 10 minutes. Once cooked, slice the brisket into 1/4 inch pieces.
- While the corned beef is cooking, chop the cabbage into roughly one-inch pieces. Add the olive oil to the pan and saute the cabbage, salt and pepper over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Slice the entire Hawaiian bread loaf in half. We found that the majority of the rolls stick together so you will be able to do this. If parts of the rolls separate, don’t worry. Do your best!
- Assemble the sandwich by creating a layer of Swiss cheese on the bottom on the bread. Add the corned beef then the cabbage. Top with another layer of Swiss cheese. Place the top of Hawaiian bread back on the sandwich, wrap the sandwich in tin foil and place in the oven for 10 minutes. This will get all of the ingredients melted together.
- Serve with chips, Guinness or any other sides you have on hand and enjoy!