We have been making variations of these farro and zucchini patties for a few years now. We keep coming back to them time and time again because of how versatile they are. The base recipe for the cakes is hearty and lends itself to nearly any flavor profile. Our favorite way to eat them is for brunch with fried eggs and Cholula Hot Sauce (pictured), but we have also served them on a bed of sautéed spinach, feta, and olives, or even as an entrée with garlicky kale and shrimp. No matter which meal you make these for, we know they won’t disappoint.
Farro & Zucchini Breakfast Patties
Makes: 6 servingsTotal Time: 45 minutes
- 1 lb farro
- 2 zucchinis, shredded
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 8 eggs
- Cholula hot sauce (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 300 degrees
- Cook the farro, al dente, according to package directions. Move the farrow to a large bowl and let to cool so that you can touch it with your hands. Add the shredded zucchini, breadcrumbs, and two of the eggs. Stir everything to combine and season well with salt and pepper.
- Using your hands, create “patties” out of the farro mixture and place on a sprayed or lined baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes and set aside to cool. At this point, you can pause the recipe and reheat the patties when you are ready to eat. This is a great way to prep for weekly meals
- While the farro patties are baking, prepare the remaining eggs individually, over-easy.
- Serve the dish by placing a fried egg on top of the patty and sprinkling with Cholulua and any other toppings, if desired.