The Chickey Gervais Skewers are named after this year’s Golden Globes host, Ricky Gervais. We love these skewers because they are really easy to assemble and always a crowd pleaser at a party. We love the cilantro lime dipping sauce as a pairing with the onions and peppers for a fresh taste but you could easily swap and serve these with BBQ or hot sauce. For the Golden Globes, we plan to serve all dishes as heavy apps and decided to make half skewers to keep these the right portion. If you are serving them for a summer bbq use full sized skewers and make them an entree.
Chickey Gervais Skewers – Chicken Fajita Skewers with Cilantro Lime Dipping Sauce
Makes: 12 half skewers; 6 full sized entree skewers
Prep Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 35 minutes
Ingredients For the Skewers:
- 1 lb chicken breasts or chicken tenders
- 2 green peppers
- 1 red onion
Ingredients For the Sauce:
- 1 package cilantro
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 lime
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place the skewers in a bowl of water. Make sure they are fully submerged as this will prevent the skewers from burning while you cook.
- Cut the chicken, green peppers and onion into one inch pieces. Assemble the skewers by placing one piece of each the chicken, peppers and onion in a row until the skewer is filled. Leave 1/2 inch of skewer on each side for easy handling.
- Season the skewers with salt and pepper and put them in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.*
- While the skewers are in the oven, make the sauce. Combine the cilantro, garlic, lime, olive oil and cumin in a blender and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the skewers on a tray and splash the sauce directly on them or put the sauce in a separate dish for a self-serve option. Enjoy!
*If you are cooking the skewers in the summer, feel free to cook on the grill! You will follow the same steps but cook on high heat for 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.