We hope everyone is getting off to a successful start with their New Year’s resolutions! For those of you trying to keep things healthy this month, we bring you this Brussels Sprout Chop Salad. We have a few rules when we are trying to keep up with clean eating: 1) the food has to be filling and 2) the food has to be super tasty. If we accomplish those two rules with our recipes, eating healthy doesn’t feel like a chore. This salad is super filling even without a traditional protein. We love it for a lunch entrée during the work week or as a side salad at night for dinner.
Brussels Sprouts Chopped Salad
Makes: 2 entree salads (4 side salads)
Prep Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 15 minutes
- 5 cups shaved brussels sprouts (approx 1 lb)
- 2 large honeycrisp apples
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2/3 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbs Dijon mustard
- 1 tbs honey (or 2 tbs if you prefer a sweeter dressing)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Make the dressing. Use a whisk and a small bowl to combine all of the dressing ingredients. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside and let the flavors blend together.
- Use your hands to comb through the brussels sprouts, breaking up any large pieces and giving the sprouts a shredded confetti texture. Put them in a large bowl.
- Dice the apples and sprinkle them with the lemon juice. Add the apples to the bowl.
- Add the remaining salad ingredients- pine nuts, cranberries, and parmesan- to the Brussels sprouts bowl. Toss with the dressing and serve chilled or room temperature.