This appetizer, “Tom Franks”, is named after this year’s Cecil B. deMille Award winner and all around legend, Tom Hanks. Like Tom Hanks, corn dogs are a classic. To ensure that we are honoring our New Year’s Resolution setting friends, we have chosen to air fry instead of deep frying. We were really happy with how the air fryer crisped up the corn dogs and the best part? No oil. None at all!
Tom Franks – Air Fryer Jalapeno Corn Dogs with Cholula Ketchup
Makes: 18 mini corn dogs
Prep Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 23 minutes
Ingredients For the Franks:
- 1 package-6- hotdogs (we used Hebrew National)
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 package of corn bread mix (we used Trader Joes)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1.5 cups milk
- 1/2 cup of flour
Ingredients For the Condiments:
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 tbs cholula
- Prepare the cornbread by placing the full packet of mix in a bowl. Add one egg, oil, milk and jalapeno; stir to combine. Note that we have doubled the recommended amount of milk than the instructions on the packet.
- Chop the hot dogs into thirds.
- Scramble the remaining egg and keep in a separate bowl. Pour the flour into a separate bowl. You should have three bowls out at this point, one flour, one scrambled egg and one corn bread mixture.
- Assemble the corn dogs by dipping the hot dogs in the flour, scrambled egg and corn bread is that order. Do this for each hot dog and place the hot dogs on your air fryer pan.
- Cook the corn dogs on the air fryer setting at 425 degrees for 8 minutes. You should start seeing the corn bread mix turning brown on all sides.
- Prepare the sauce by combining the ketchup and cholula
- Serve the corn dogs immediately with the ketchup.