This recipe goes way back to when Tuck’s mom was first starting out in the food blog game. We love this Kale & Artichoke Dip because it has all the fun of its spinach counterpart, but with half the calories. You can eat the entire bowl of dip with a spoon (we have) and not feel bad about it because of the incorporation of healthy ingredients. We like using kale because unlike spinach, it holds up really well during the cooking process and keeps its texture. We know the feeling of cooking an entire bag of spinach and being left with about two tablespoons when we are finished. If we are spending the day in Tate’s man cave, we need this dip to last for a few hours, not a few minutes! The result with our version is cheesy, hearty, and mostly healthy. It will be your favorite companion all football season long.
Kale & Artichoke Dip
Makes: 8 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes Baking Time: 20 minutes Total Time: 35 minutes
- 3 cups finely chopped kale
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups jarred artichoke hearts, drained and roughly chopped
- 12 oz reduced fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 2/3 cup low fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup white onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a small pot of hot water to a boil (about 6 cups – you can estimate this). Add the baking soda and the kale, simmer for a minute, and drain the kale into a colander. Rinse the kale with cold water to stop the kale from cooking – the baking soda keeps the kale green and prevents it from turning brown.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cream cheese, yogurt, sour cream, and mayonnaise until combined. Mix in the garlic, onion, red pepper flakes. Use a spatula to fold in the kale and artichoke hearts until all of the ingredients are mixed evenly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spray an 8 x 8 inch baking dish or a small 6 inch round dish with cooking spray. Add the dip to the pan using the spatula to make an even layer. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese evenly over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Serve warm with chips and mixed vegetables. Or just a spoon if you’re Tate’s mom.