When hosting events, there is nothing we love more than putting together a cheese board. It can be assembled ahead of time and is a great distraction for your guests if you are still doing some preparation in the kitchen. It is the perfect vessel for putting many different foods together and looks spectacular when people walk in the door. We made the Autumn edition of our cheese board for Thanksgiving using ingredients that were seasonally fall – apples, Autumn Cheese, Pumpkin and Ginger Crackers. The options are endless when it comes to make these boards and the best part is that you don’t have to do much with combining flavors. With other dishes we would tell you that less is more, but when it comes to a cheese board, more is more. We love to dig through the aisles of Trader Joe’s to find items to mix and match.
Our Cheese Board Tips:
- Use small ramekins and bowls to help separate foods that might run together, like marinated olives. This allows you to prepare the board a little more in advance and keeps all of the items on the board fresh for longer.
- Stick to the rule of 3: three types of cheese, three types of charcuterie, and three types of crackers. This is a great base for a board for a party of 10-12 people. There will be enough variety that everyone will find something they like.
- Buy cheeses with a variety in taste, texture and type of milk they are made from. If a cheese is really hard (like a Parmesan) cut it into bite sized pieces for the board. The same goes for brie in a large wheel. Cutting the cheese up helps your guests have an easier time digging into the good stuff.
Cheese Board: Autumn Edition
Serving Size: 8-10 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes Total Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients On This Board (all from Trader Joe’s unless homemade):
- 1 wedge of Brie cheese
- 1 wedge of Rosemary Asiago
- 1 wedge of Chimay Autumn Cheese
- 1 package assorted charcuterie meats
- 2 apples, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon
- 2 bell peppers, medium chop
- 1 cup+ marinated olives
- 1 cup+ honey roasted sesame cashews
- 2 cups roasted butternut squash dip
- 2 cups Pumpkin Cranberry Crisp crackers
- 2 cups Trisket crackers
- Start to assemble by placing the cheese on the board. Keep it spread to various corners. Next add the items that will go in bowls on the board. These should be for dips and more liquid items like the olives so that they don’t spread into the other ingredients.
- Now add the charcuterie, folding it into different sizes to create different textures on your board. We like to fold the circular cuts into quarters and roll other larger pieces to give each item a different look.
- Follow Step 2 with the vegetables and fruits, making sure to give the apples a squeeze of lemon juice before placing them on the board so that they do not brown before serving. If you are making the board in advance, stop at this point and refrigerate.
- Complete the board by filling the the various holes with crackers, nuts, and other dry items. You may need to shuffle items on the board around, but the more the merrier! Serve at room temperature.
2 thoughts on “Cheese Board: Autumn Edition”
Pingback: Thanksgiving Dinner 2019 | TUCK & TATE
Pingback: 30 Recipes For Your Thanksgiving Menu | TUCK & TATE