Nana has a few rules when it comes to Thanksgiving and one is that mashed potatoes should never be healthy. While we do love a good cauliflower mash and finding ways to make our favorite foods healthier, Thanksgiving is not the time that we mess with a classic. The recipe below calls for butter, milk and cream cheese. The cream cheese adds a little something extra to the texture and taste of the potatoes. Bottom line, this dish rocks. Run an extra mile or do whatever else you need to do to indulge in these guilt free.
The Best Ever Mashed Potatoes
Serving Size: 8 side servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Total Time: 35 minutes
- 6 potatoes
- 6 tbs butter
- 2 cup whole milk
- 8 oz cream cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 chives, chopped (for garnish, optional)
- Place a pot of water on the stove with approximately 8 cups of cold water. Peel the potatoes and discard the skin; chop the potatoes in one inch pieces (this does not have to be precise).
- Add the potatoes to the pot of cold water. Heat to boiling. Cook on a constant boil for 15- 20 minutes, or until you can easily stick a fork into the potatoes.
- Drain the potatoes and place back in the warm pot.
- Add the butter and 1 cup of milk and mash the potatoes until you have a smooth consistency.
- Add the cream cheese and remaining cup of milk if you would like a smoother texture to your potatoes. We recommend adding 1/2 cup of milk at a time until the potatoes are your desired texture.
- Season the potatoes with salt and pepper and serve with chopped chives and a few dabs of melted butter for garnish.