Trying to come up with a name for this salad was a challenge. We can talk about what this salad is made of – it is a romaine salad with artichoke hearts, hearts of palm and parmesan cheese. But this salad means more to us than just its simple ingredients because this is the salad our Nana has been making it for most Sunday night dinners for as long as we can remember. It ones of those bites that tastes like home. So we are just going to call this salad what it is- Sunday Night Salad.
What we love about this salad is that it is made in less than 15 minutes and can pair well with nearly any entree. Brisket? ✅ Salmon? ✅ Paella? ✅ We know this last one because we served it to 20 people at our dad’s tapas birthday party and per usual, it was a hit. The dressing is on the acidic side, so it lightens up any hearty entree. It has become a staple in our homes and we hope that it will be the same in yours.
Sunday Night Salad
Makes: 6 side salads
Total Cook Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients for Salad:
- 2 medium-large heads of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1 can hearts of palm, drained and sliced
- 1/3 red onion, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Ingredients for Salad Dressing:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 small red onion, minced
- 1 tbs sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Make the Sunday Night Salad Dressing by whisking all of the ingredients for the dressing, minus the oil, in a medium mixing bowl. Add the oil in a slow drizzle, whisking as you go, until the oil is absorbed. Set aside and whisk as necessary before serving if the dressing separates.
- Assemble the salad by layering the romaine, artichoke hearts, heart of palm and onion (if desired) in a large salad bowl. Add half the dressing and toss to coat. You may have extra dressing and won’t need to use all of it in this recipe. If additional is needed, add more and again toss to combine.
- Top the salad with the avocado and Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.