If you follow us on Instagram, you know that we love to treat ourselves to donuts! Sweet, crispy, fried dough – what is not to love? One of the most popular Hanukkah desserts is sufganiyot. For those unfamiliar, sufganiyot are Israeli donuts that are traditionally stuffed with jelly. We decided to recreate sufganiyot in our air fryer to lower the high calorie count of this dessert and have used both nutella and jelly as fillings. Admittedly, these bad boys don’t taste exactly like donuts (you really can’t completely recreate that fried taste), but they are flaky, sweet and completely hit the spot after a big dinner. Serve warm with ice cream and we promise you won’t have any complaints. Even Nana (our biggest skeptic) loved these!
Nutella and Jelly Air Fried Sufganiyot
A healthier take on famous Hanukkah donuts!
- 1 1/2 tsp quick rising yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 3 tbs sugar (divided into 1 tbs and 2 tbs)
- 2 eggs
- 6 tbs melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2+ cups of flour
- 1 cup nutella
- 1 cup jelly (your choice flavor)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Combine the yeast, water and 1 tbs sugar into a bowl. Stir to combine and set aside for 5-10 minutes until the yeast has completely dissolved and the mixture starts to bubble.
- Add the remaining 2 tbs sugar, eggs, butter and vanilla and mix all ingredients thoroughly.
- Mix in 2 cups of flour and combine the ingredients until a dough has formed. The dough should be a little on the sticky side but still able to hold its shape. If the mixture is too sticky or wet, add 1/4 more flour at a time until you can roll the dough into a ball. Using the same bowl (you don’t need to bother cleaning it out), shape the dough into a ball and set aside, covered, in a warm area to rise for 1 hour.
- Heavily flour a hard surface and roll the dough into 1/4-1/2 inch sheet. Using a biscuit cutter or a drinking glass, cut out circles and add them to a sheet pan. Let the cut dough rise for another 30 minutes.
- Set your air fryer to 350 degrees. Air fry the donuts for 5 minutes, 2 1/2 minutes on each side. Be sure to flip them half way through.
- Once the sufganiyot are cooked and cooled, put the nutella and jelly in piping bags. Puncture the center of the sufganiyot and pipe 1-2 tbs of filling in each donut. You can get creative here and mix and match flavors however you would like. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.