Eight nights of Hanukkah can feel like quite a latke (see what we did there?) To keep the nights feeling fresh we love to mix it up with latke flavors. For our 2019 latke we went the savory route by combining a few different kinds of potatoes and making a Green Goddess sour cream that is pretty much to die for. When brainstorming this year’s latke recipe, we knew we wanted to use sweet potatoes. With brisket as our entrée, we thought that something sweet would be a nice counterbalance to the rich and smoky flavors on the menu. We love these sweet potato latkes and could swim all day in the cinnamon & honey mascarpone. It is so rich and creamy- the perfect accompaniment to sizzling fried potatoes.
Sweet Potato Latkes with Cinnamon & Honey Mascarpone
Our favorite recipe for sweet potato latkes, made extra decadent with a whipped mascarpone topping.
Ingredients For The Latkes
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and cut into quarters
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup vegetable oil (for frying)
Ingredients For The Mascarpone Topping
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tbs honey
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 pomegranate, seeds removed, for garnish
- Make the mascarpone topping. Combine all of the ingredients for the topping (mascarpone – salt) in a medium mixing bowl. Whisk well to combine. Set aside, or refrigerate, until ready to serve.
- Make the latkes. Use a food processor with the grater attachment to grate the sweet potatoes, set aside. Use the same attachment to grate the onion; use a cheese cloth or sieve to strain most of the juices out of the onion so that the taste doesn’t permeate through the latkes.
- Combine the sweet potatoes, onion, and remaining latke ingredients (through ground ginger) in a large bowl. Mix well with your hands to make sure all of the ingredients are evenly combined.
- Heat 2 tbs of the vegetable oil in a large skillet. Portion out about 1/4 of the latke mix and cook about 4-5 latkes at a time in the pan, making sure the pan stays hot. Cook the latkes for about 3 minutes per side, or until they are golden brown, and set aside. Tent with foil to keep warm. Continue this process until all of the latkes are cooked. Serve immediately with the mascarpone topping and pomegranate seeds.
One thought on “Sweet Potato Latkes with Cinnamon & Honey Mascarpone”