Grilled pizza is a staple for us and is constantly popping up on our weekly meal rotation. We love how easy and versatile the base recipe is so that we can mix and match ingredients with the season and our preferences. For this week’s recipe we were craving a classic supreme pizza. We love the combination of veggies and sausage in a supreme – it is definitely the best of both worlds in our opinion and doesn’t feel overly filling like other pizza variations. If you have a home garden growing, this is a great time to incorporate a lot of those veggies! Because of pregnancy heartburn we chose to not add any spicy peppers in our recipe, but highly recommend adding chili flakes or giardiniera if spicy if your jam!
Grilled Supreme Pizza
Utilizing the grill as much as possible for our take on a classic supreme pizza.
- 1 lb premade raw pizza dough
- flour (for rolling the dough)
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1/2 lb Italian sausage links
- 1/4 red onion, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeds removed and sliced into strips
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 can black olives, sliced
- Turn on your grill to high heat or if you are using an oven, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. If you are using a pizza stone, put it on the grill or in the oven to preheat as well. When the grill is hot, add the sausages, red onion, and yellow peppers. Cook the sausages 8-10 minutes, flipping halfway, until they are cooked through. Keep an eye on the bell peppers and red onions and remove when they are starting to char. Remove all of the topping ingredients from the grill and set aside.
- Use the extra flour to roll the dough into a thin round pizza. You want the pizza to be about a half inch thick so that it can support the weight of the ingredients.
- Place the pizza dough on the grill for 5 minutes (or in the oven for 7-10) until the bottom layer is crispy and has a hard crunch. Remove the dough from the oven and place cooked side up. Slice the sausage into bite-sized pieces and top the pizza with all of the topping ingredients (pizza sauce – black olives) in an even layer.
- Place the pizza back on the grill for 5 minutes (7-10 for the oven) until the dough is completely cooked through and the cheese is melted. Top with fresh basil, slice, and serve.