This is the recipe that changed the turkey burger game for us. Let’s face it, turkey burgers are notoriously dry. The meat is so lean that it often doesn’t lend well to grilling unless you incorporate additional fat like in our spicy turkey burger recipe. Instead of adding chicken sausage, we have incorporated feta and spinach to the burgers, which gives them moisture and adds a Mediterranean spin. The saltiness and creaminess from the feta gives a richness and fat to the turkey and the spinach is an added bonus for those trying to sneak in some vegetables for their kids. The result is a burger that can be served over a Greek salad, as a main entrée at a barbeque, or frozen and heated for an easy weeknight meal. We serve ours with sliced avocado and romesco aioli for a burger that is healthy, fresh, and full of flavor.
Spinach and Feta Turkey Burgers
A staple Mediterranean turkey burger recipe that you will keep coming back to.
Ingredients for the Burgers
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 hamburger buns
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- leaf lettuce
- any of your other favorite burger toppings
Ingredients for the Romesco Aioli
- 1 roasted red pepper, patted very dry if you’re buying it in a jar
- 2 tbs slivered almonds
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, drained from the oil
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- salt and pepper to taste
- Make the romesco sauce (roasted red pepper – mayonnaise) by combining all of the ingredients in a blender. Pulse to chop and then blend completely. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set side or refrigerate until ready to use.
- Heat your grill to high, about 500 degrees.
- Mix all of the burger ingredients (ground turkey – pepper) in a large bowl until the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Form the meat mixture into 4 burger patties. Grill for about 5 minutes per side, or until the meat is completely cooked through.
- Serve with sliced avocado and leaf lettuce, or any of your other favorite burger toppings.