Kidd grew up eating open faced subs that his dad would cook and has fond memories particularly of a chicken and broccoli sandwich. We spent time in the kitchen trying to recreate the nostalgia, and have landed on this open faced broccoli and chicken sandwich with Swiss cheese and balsamic glaze. The sandwich is packed with sneaky flavor from the spices in the sautéed broccoli. The balsamic glaze adds a tangy sweetness that ties all of the ingredients together. The result is the perfect lunch or dinner for the entire family. You can even recreate this on a baguette for a delicious appetizer.
Broccoli & Chicken Open Faced Sandwiches
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into strips
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 4 tbs olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups broccoli rabe
- 1 tbs onion powder
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 ciabatta or hogey style sandwich roll
- 2 slices of swiss cheese
- 2 tbs balsamic glaze
- Cook the chicken. Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the chicken strips. In a skillet over medium heat, heat 2 tbs of olive oil. Add the chicken breasts and cook for 2-3 minutes on one side. Add the balsamic vinegar and flip the chicken. Cook until the chicken is cooked completely through. Set aside to cool.
- Using the same pan (no need to clean it out) add the remaining olive oil (2 tbs). Once heated, add the garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes so the garlic becomes fragrant. Add the broccoli rabe and lower the heat to low. Cook for 5 minutes until the broccoli wilts and becomes tender. Add the onion powder and chili flakes. Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Slice the sandwich roll or bread of choice in half lengthwise. You want to have the bread sliced thick so that it will hold up the weight of the ingredients. Toast the bread in a toaster or oven until it is lightly toasted on each side.
- Add a slice of swiss cheese to the bottom of each piece of bread. Melt in the oven or microwave until the cheese is nice and bubbly. Drizzle the balsamic glaze over the cheese. Top the sandwich with the chicken and broccoli. Serve immediately.