One of our favorite items to make in the summer is grilled pizza. We love how easy it is to buy a pre-made dough at the store and get creative with toppings of our choice. This week, we were craving BBQ chicken and decided to make a BBQ chicken pizza. This pizza turned out to be hearty, flavorful and the perfect dish to serve with a fresh salad. If you don’t have a grill, no problem. We have included instructions for making this pizza in the oven. We can’t wait to share all of the pizza recipes that we come up with the summer and hope to hear from you with your favorite topping ideas as well.
BBQ Chicken Pizza
A bold, flavorful pizza that is a perfect appetizer or entrée on a warm summer night.
- 1 lb package pre-made pizza dough
- 1 cup flour
- 1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts diced into cubes
- 1 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce, divided
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch cilantro
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- Take the pizza dough out of the refrigerator to come to room temperature. If you are going to bake the pizza in an oven, pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees and put your pizza pan inside the oven while it pre-heats.
- In a medium sized pan, heat 2 tbs of the olive oil over low heat. Add the white onion. The goal is to caramelize the onions so you want to make sure that you are cooking these low and slow. Stir frequently but the let the onions slowly caramelize for at least 20 minutes. Remove the onions from the heat and set aside.
- Using the same pan (no need to clean in out) add the remaining olive oil – approx. 1 tbs – over medium heat. Add the chicken breasts and sauté for 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of the BBQ sauce and stir until the chicken is completely coated. Continue sautéing the chicken for an additional 2-3 minutes or until the chicken breast pieces are completely cooked through. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- If you are using a grill, preheat the grill to high (approximately 500 degrees).
- Toss a light coating of flour on your countertop. Using a rolling pin and some of the flour, roll out the dough into a pizza shape. You do not need to use all of the flour. Use it as needed if the dough is getting sticky.
- Place the pizza dough on the hot pan (for oven) or directly on the grill for 3-4 minutes to get the pizza dough crispy on one side. Remove the pizza dough and place is cooked side down on a tray.
- Add the pizza toppings. Paint the pizza with the remaining BBQ sauce. Evenly distribute the caramelized onions, BBQ chicken and mozzarella cheese on the pizza. Place the pizza back in the oven or on the grill for 5-7 minutes until the dough is completely cooked through and the cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle the cilantro, red onion and red chili flakes (if using) on top of the pizza. Serve immediately.
One thought on “BBQ Chicken Pizza”