While this Beer & Cheese Bread was originally inspired by St. Patrick’s Day celebrations, it is such a versatile bread that it pairs well with just about everything from chili to barbecue. What we love most about this recipe is how well the contrasting flavors in the bread work together. The beer adds a natural fizz to the bread, which keeps it really light and airy while it bakes. The hoppy taste from the beer also gives it a nice sour punch, which complements all of the melted sharp cheddar cheese. The secret to this recipe is the melted butter. Adding it in two stages gives the bread a crispy, chewy crust that is to die for. If no one was around we would cut the whole crust away and devour it straight out of the pan.
Beer & Cheese Bread
One of our favorite quick bread recipes! Although it is inspired by St. Patrick’s Day, it pairs well with everything from chili to barbecue.
- 1 tbs olive oil
- ½ cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups (13.5 oz) all-purpose flour
- 3 tbs sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup (4 oz) sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 (12 oz) bottle lager-style beer
- 2 tbs melted butter, divided
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a small saute pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until the onions are caramelized. Add a bit of freshly cracked pepper and remove from the heat.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk to combine and make a well in the center. Add the onions, cheese and beer to the flour, stirring until just combined. The dough will be sticky.
- Scoop the batter into a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan that is coated with cooking spray. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the melted butter on top of the batter. Bake for 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and drizzle the remaining tablespoon of butter over the top. Bake for an additional 25 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the center is baked through.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Remove from the pan onto a wire rack and cool completely. Slice and serve with butter.
One thought on “Beer & Cheese Bread”