We love Asian food of all kinds (seriously, we are pretty obsessed) and for those lunches and dinners where we want to cook in, we jump at the opportunity to cook with some of the Asian flavors we like most. These crispy sesame chicken bowls are the perfect recipe for an easy and flavorful family dinner that everyone will be looking forward to. We have put a lot of love into creating a crispy sesame chicken that is sweet, spicy and savory. The chicken is combined with mushrooms, edamame and carrots – but really you can use almost any vegetable you have on hand – and tossed with a sesame flavored noodles. The results are simply to die for. Our audience for this meal was aged 1.5 to 65 and everyone was equally pleased and satisfied.
Crispy Sesame Chicken Noodle Bowls
An Asian inspired noodle bowl that comes together in under 30 minutes.
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bit sized pieces
- 1 cup corn starch
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 2 tbs hoisin sauce
- 3 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs sambel oelek (garlic chili paste)
- 1/2 orange, juiced
Noodle Bowl Ingredients
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 2 inches of fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cups fresh ramen noodles (if you can’t find fresh, dry noodles work just fine)
- 2 tbs sesame oil
- 1 lb white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch ginger, minced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup shelled edamame (defrost in advance if you purchase frozen)
- Prepare the chicken. In a medium bowl, combine the chicken and cornstarch. Use your hand or a spoon to toss the chicken in the corn starch until the chicken pieces are thoroughly coated. In a separate, small bowl, whisk together the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sambal oelek and orange juice.
- Cook the chicken. In a medium sauté pan, heat 2 tbs of the sesame oil. Add the chicken and sauté for 5 minutes until the chicken is crisped and browned on all sides. Add the sauce mixture and continue sautéing for an additional five minutes. The sauce will thicken and the chicken will be dark and sticky.
- Prepare the sauce. In a small bowl, whisk together the rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil and ginger. Set aside.
- Cook the noodles according to package directions.
- While the noodles are cooking, prepare the vegetables. Using the same sauté pan as the chicken (you don’t need to bother rinsing it out), heat the remaining sesame oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, garlic, ginger and carrots and sauté for 5 minutes or until the mushrooms are soft and cooked through. Add the edamame and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Bring it all together. Add the noodles and sauce to the vegetables and toss together so that all of the ingredients are combined and warmed through. Serve immediately in a bowl and top with the chicken.