We love soup pretty much all year round, but right after the holidays we have them on our menu regularly. Soup is great on a cold day, easy to make, and an ideal option for a healthy meal when we have our hearts set on January resolutions. The crunchiness of the leeks combined with the creaminess of the potato makes this soup taste indulgent without adding any dairy. You can have this soup as a full meal or pair it with a side salad or sandwich for a delicious lunch option during your workweek.
Potato and Leek Soup
A healthy soup recipe to kick off January resolutions with easy substitutes for vegan and vegetarian food preferences.
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 5 leeks, chopped – whites and greens separated
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4-6 cups chicken stock (option to use vegan stock)
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, shallot and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the whites of the leeks and sauté an additional 5-10 minutes or until the leeks start to soften.
- Add the potatoes, greens of the leeks, and 4 cups of the bouillon to the pot and bring the mixture to a boil. Simmer with the soup covered for 15-20 minutes or until you are able to easily poke a fork through the potatoes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup to your desired consistency. We like to have about 1/4 of the mixture remain whole and blend the remaining. The different textures of the whole potatoes and leeks bring a nice crunchiness to the soup. Once the soup is blended, add additional stock if you prefer your soup a little thinner. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve the soup hot and top with cheddar cheese (if desired).
One thought on “Potato and Leek Soup”
Pingback: Potato and Leek Soup — TUCK & TATE | My Meals are on Wheels