We have seen a number of requests for “post baby” frozen meals from our soon-to-be mama friends looking to get ahead in the kitchen before baby. When Tate’s human brother was born, these frozen breakfast burritos were a savior after sleepless nights. We make them in big batches and keep them in the freezer. All it takes is a quick pop in the oven and we have breakfast ready in no time.
Post-Baby Breakfast Burritos
Makes: 16 burritos
Prep Time: 1 hour 30 minutes Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes Ingredients:
- 16 burrito-sized tortillas
- 24 eggs
- 2 tbs butter
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 package bacon
- 1 package breakfast sausage
- 1- 8 oz bag of shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1 jar green salsa
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 roll of aluminum foil
- 1 roll of parchment paper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash and grate the sweet potatoes and place them on a large cookie sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and season well with salt and pepper. Lay the sweet potatoes in an even layer on the cookie sheet and bake in the oven until lightly crispy, about 15 minutes.
- Place the bacon and sausage onto two additional small cookie sheets. Bake in the oven until the bacon is crispy and the sausage is cooked through- about 10 minutes for the sausage and 15 minutes + on the bacon. Remove the sweet potatoes, sausage, and bacon from the oven when they are finished and set on a countertop and cool. Chop each into small bite-sized pieces.
- While the ingredients are in the oven, cook the eggs. Crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl and whisk well to blend. Season with salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter to the pan and melt; add the eggs. Slowly scramble the eggs until they are just cooked; remove from the heat immediately and cool.
- Create an assembly line for the burritos by laying 16 pieces of foil (about 8-10 inch squares) on a large counter space. Follow the foil with a similar size piece of parchment paper. Top each parchment paper with a tortilla.
- Assemble the tortillas by layering the following on the center of each tortilla: 1/2 cup of scrambled eggs, 1/4 cup potatoes, 1 heaping tablespoon shredded cheese, and 1 tbs green salsa. Distribute the chopped bacon and sausage to eight tortillas each. Roll the burritos, wrap in parchment paper, and then wrap in foil. Label each burrito as either bacon or sausage and place into gallon sized freezer bags. Freeze the burritos.
- To heat the burritos from frozen, cook in the oven at 400 degrees for 30 – 40 minutes, or heat in the microwave (foil removed!!) for 5-6 minutes.