We love soups and stews and get giddy when the temperature starts to get cooler and it is acceptable to eat soup most meals of the week. This recipe incorporates all of our favorite Middle Eastern ingredients into one hearty bowl. You can easily make this vegetarian or vegan by eliminating the shrimp and feta cheese without compromising the flavor. For those unfamiliar with harissa, harissa is a Moroccan pasta made with garlic, red pepper and oil. You can find this is most supermarkets or online through Thrive Market and Amazon.
Spicy Chickpea and Harissa Stew
Makes: 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 45 minutes
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, diced
- 2 cans chickpea, drained
- 3 tbs harissa paste
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp salt
- 28 oz can of tomato sauce
- 28 oz water (reuse the can!)
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- parsley or cilantro
- In a soup pot, turn the heat to medium and add the olive oil. Once hot, add the shallot and garlic and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas, harissa, cumin and salt and saute for 2-3 minutes until the chickpeas are coated with all of the spices. If you like your food extra spicy, you can bump up the harissa from 3 to 4 tablespoons.
- Add the tomato sauce and use the same can to add the water. This will help ensure you get all of the tomato juice out!
- Bring the stew up to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Bring the heat back up to high and add the shrimp. Put the cover on the pot and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until the shrimp are completely cooked through.
- Serve hot in a bowl and top with feta cheese, parsley and a side of your favorite pita!