After celebrating quite a few birthdays in May & June, we have had to start getting creative about what to do with leftover birthday cake. We love our share of cake, but after a few days, we were getting a little tired of tasting the same ingredients. We experimented a bit with different leftover birthday cakes and repurposed them to create summer trifles. By adding homemade whipped cream and fresh berries we were able to continue to enjoy our sweet treats in a different way. No extra cake? No problem. You can pick up an angel food cake at the store and use it in the same way.
Summer Berry Trifle
Makes: 12 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 leftover cake- about 8 cups cubed (or store bought angel food cake)
- 3 cups of heavy whipping cream
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- 3 tbs sugar
- 4 cups of mixed berries (we used strawberries, blackberries and blueberries)
- If you are using leftover cake, scrape the frosting off the cake and cut the cake into one inch cubes. This does not need to be perfect. If using store bought, cut the angel food cake into one inch cubes. Set aside.
- Using a hand mixer, mix the heavy whipping cream, vanilla bean, and sugar until the cream forms stiff peaks. About 5 minutes.
- Assemble the trifle by layering the cake cubes, whipped cream and mixed berries. You want to make sure that the cake is thoroughly coated in the whipped cream so that it can soak up the moisture. Top with a layer of whipped cream and use any remaining berries for decoration.
- Keep the trifle refrigerated for at least 30 minutes before serving. This can be made overnight. Serve cold.