We have been seeing versions of this cake online now for weeks, and finally Tuck’s mom caved and had to make it on a Saturday morning. We based our recipe off of King Arthur Flour’s recipe for Farmhouse Buttermilk Cake and tweaked it to add fresh strawberries and a little lemon zest to give it a brighter taste. We added a brown sugar glaze to the cake which brought it to a whole new level of decadence. We aren’t sorry about it. This cake is the perfect addition to a weekend brunch menu; it’s perfectly sweet and seasonal for spring.
Strawberry Buttermilk Cake with Brown Sugar Glaze
Makes: 1- 8 inch round cake (6-8 servings)
Prep Time: 30 minutes Baking Time: 30 minutes Total Time: 1 hour
Ingredients for the Cake:
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 12 large strawberries, stemmed and hulled (plus more for garnish if desired)
Ingredients for the Glaze:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- a tiny pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 inch cake pan with extra butter or a good layer of cooking spray; set aside.
- Stem and hull the strawberries. Slice 6 of the strawberries vertically; these will go on the bottom of the cake pan. Chop the other 6 strawberries, which will be folded into the batter.
- Beat the butter and brown sugar in a large bowl with a stand mixer or hand mixer. Add the egg, vanilla extract, and lemon zest and fully combine.
- Add the baking soda, salt, and 1 cup of the flour to the bowl. Mix until just combined, scraping the bowl with a spatula as necessary to get everything out from the bottom.
- Add the buttermilk to the bowl and mix until just combined, again scraping the bowl as necessary. Add the remaining flour and chopped strawberries to the bowl.
- Arrange a layer of strawberries in the design of your choice on the bottom of the cake pan. If you have extra slices, fold those into the cake batter before pouring the batter in to the cake pan. Use a spatula to gently even out the batter before placing in the oven.
- Bake the cake for 30 – 35 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean from the center of the pan.
- While the cake is baking in the oven, make the glaze.
- Combine the brown sugar and butter in a small pot on the stove over medium heat. Whisk the ingredients to combine and add the buttermilk. Add the baking soda- the mixture will start to bubble- continue whisking until the mix thickens up. This can take a good 5 minutes on the stove, but mix until the glaze is the texture you desire. Add the vanilla and salt and remove from the heat. Whisk again to combine and set aside.
- When the cake has finished baking, give it at least 15 minutes to rest before removing it from the pan. Serve with a generous pour of brown sugar glaze and additional strawberries, if desired.