Our good friend Lea has been snapping pics of her homemade potatoes and we immediately reached out for the recipe. Normally recipes from her are hard to come by because of lot of her cooking has been taught in person, without recipe, from her amazing, Italian mama. Luckily for us, this time, she was willing to share. We made a few modifications and hope that these bad boys do her justice. Thank you Lea!
These potatoes are cooked twice – boiled and baked. We love the bake at the end because it gives the outside of the potatoes a nice, crispy texture. The pesto and goat cheese makes the whole dish decadent and delicious. This is a great side dish to serve with just about any protein and perfect for Memorial Day Weekend. We chose to pair the potatoes with a steak during one of our fancy Steak Saturday dinners that we have been enjoying during quarantine.
Smashed Potatoes with Pesto & Goat Cheese
Makes: 4-6 side dishes
Prep Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 60 minutes
- 1 lb baby potatoes
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 6 oz goat cheese
- salt and pepper for seasoning
Directions for the Oven:
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the potatoes in cold water covered by 2 -3 inches of water. Set the heat on high and bring to boil. Boil for 20 minutes.
- While the potatoes are boiling, mix the pesto and goat cheese together in a bowl.
- Drain and rinse the potatoes. Using a glass or other type of round ramekin, place the potatoes on a sprayed baking sheet and use the glass to “smash” the potatoes flat. This doesn’t need to be perfect. Some potatoes may break all the way through and others will remain intact.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the potatoes and add a hearty dollop of the pesto/goat cheese mixture on top of each potato. Place the potatoes in the oven for another 30 minutes until the are crispy and the cheese mixture is fully melted.
- Take the potatoes out of the oven and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve warm!