This is the perfect spring side dish to just about everything from fish to grilled chicken and even steak. We find that giving vegetable side dishes the same amount of TLC that we would an entree makes a complete difference with our dinner experience. Instead of the standard “protein, carb, veg” day after day, recipes like this asparagus brighten things up and make us way more excited to eat our vegetables. This asparagus has just a handful of ingredients but really amps up the flavors of spring compared to a standard roasted asparagus. As the weather gets warmer feel free to cook the asparagus on the grill for an extra smokey flavor; it will contrast nicely with the fresh punch of lemon.
Asparagus with Lemon & Leeks
Makes: 6 servings
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 2 lbs aparagus, stems cut off
- 2 tbs olive oil, separated
- 2 large leek, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Put the asparagus onto a cookie sheet in an even layer. Drizzle with 1 tbs olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until the asparagus are crispy but cooked through.
- While the asparagus are cooking, heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the other 1 tbs olive oil, the leeks, and the garlic to the pan. Sauce for 4-5 minutes, or until the leeks are starting to brown and caramelize.
- Add the white wine and the lemon zest and juice to the pan. Slice the lemon and throw that in the pan as well. Cook for another 3-4 minutes to cook off the wine. Season the mix with salt and pepper.
- Remove the asparagus from the oven and toss in the pan with the leeks and lemons. Serve immediately.