This recipe dates back 2012 when we went to brunch at our cousin Deb’s house in Connecticut. While most of the world loves quiche, Tuck & Tate’s moms hate quiche, so we were a little panicked when we heard that quiche was on the menu. So much so that we made a pact to grab something afterwards knowing we would still be hungry. This is the most Neistat approach to any eating situation. Lo and behold, this was the most un-quiche-like quiche on the planet! It was basically all spinach and veggies, topped with cheese, and filled with just a dash of egg. It was so damn good.
Since eating this brunch- and telling Deb the full story about the quiche conundrum- we asked Deb for the recipe and have recreated this dish over and over again. It is a go-to egg entrée for brunch and a great addition to any Easter menu this weekend. We love to mix in different vegetables and cheeses depending on what is fresh and in season. We keep it on the healthier side with just vegetables, but tossing in some crispy bacon or sausage would make it even more of a treat!
Nearly Eggless Easter Quiche
Makes: 6 servings
Prep Time: 25 minutes Baking Time: 45 minutes Total Time: 80 minutes
Ingredients for Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 tsp salt
Ingredients for Quiche:
- 4 oz package mushrooms, finely chopped
- 20 oz frozen spinach, thawed, drained, and finely chopped**
- 1 bell pepper, stem & seeds removed, small dice
- 1 tbs butter
- 1/2 white onion, small dice
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup reduced fat milk
- 4 oz goat cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- To make the crust combine the flour, butter, and salt with your hands in a medium-sized bowl. Add the cold water as needed until the dough is the consistency of wet sand. Knead the dough just enough for it to come together. Spray a pie pan with cooking spray and press the crust into the bottom and sides of the pan in an even layer. Bake the crust for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- To make the quiche, heat a large skillet on medium heat. Add the butter, onion, garlic, and shallot to the pan. Saute for 2-3 minutes, or until everything starts to caramelize. Add the mushrooms, spinach, and bell pepper to the pan. Saute for 6-8 minutes, or until all the moisture from the mushrooms and spinach is released and evaporated. Remove from the heat, season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Whisk the eggs, milk and nutmeg together in a small bowl.
- To assemble the quiche, pour the vegetables into the bottom of crust. Spread them into an even layer. Add the egg mixture over top, again patting down to make sure that everything is submerged in the egg mix. Top the quiche with the goat cheese and bake in the oven for 40-50 minutes, or until the quich is firm on the top.
- Let the quiche sit, covered, for 10 minutes before serving.
** You can sub about 3/4 lb of fresh spinach if that is what you have on hand vs frozen. Just be sure to cook the spinach in the pan really well to be sure all the liquid drains from the spinach in step 3.
2 thoughts on “Nearly Eggless Quiche”
Pingback: Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole | TUCK & TATE