Buffalo Chicken Dip was not something that Tuck’s mom was familiar with until she met Tuck’s dad. He is obsessed with buffalo chicken and will eat it in wrap form, fried chicken form, but most beloved, in dip form. There are countless ways to make this dip, and we consider this the indulgent but mostly healthy version. What we like about this recipe is that for all of its creaminess, Greek yogurt is the base of the dip, which means you can snack away guilt free while plopped in front of the TV watching the Super Bowl this Sunday.
Buffalo Chicken Dip
Makes: 8+ appetizer servings
Active Time: 30 minutes Total Time: 40 minutes
- 4 large chicken breasts (about 1.25 lbs)
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 yellow onion, small dice
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 2 cups Greek yogurt
- 1 cup Frank’s Hot Sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
Ingredients for Bread Crumbs:
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 4 tbs butter, melted
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 2 scallions, minced
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Reduce the water to a simmer and add the chicken breasts to the pot. Cook for 12 minutes, or until the chicken is just cooked through. If the chicken is slightly under cooked, no worries, you will be cooking it again in the oven later. Remove the chicken from the pot and set on a cutting board. When the chicken is cool enough to touch, shred it with two forks or finely chop into small pieces.
- Heat a cast iron skillet on medium heat. Add the butter to the pan. When it has melted, add the onion and saute for 4-5 minutes, or until the onions start to become translucent. Add the garlic and saute another 2 minutes.
- Add the cream cheese, Greek yogurt, and Frank’s Hot Sauce to the pan. Stir gradually and cook until the the cream cheese has completely melted. Add the chicken, stir everything well, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Reduce the heat to low.
- Make the breadcrumbs by combining all of the bread crumb ingredients in a bowl (bread crumbs – scallions). Use your hands to gently mix everything together- it should have the consistency of wet sand. Season with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Spread the chicken dip with a spatula so that everything is in an even layer. Sprinkle the bread crumbs over top and put in the oven. Cook for 10 minutes, or until the dip is bubbling underneath the bread crumbs. Serve immediately with tortilla chips and celery.