We are all about entrée salads during the summer, but if we are choosing to eat salad for a meal it needs to be hearty enough to feel like a complete meal. We love this rendition of a Caesar salad, which is loaded with all of our favorite BLAT ingredients to make things exciting. We went rogue from romaine lettuce and decided to use arugula as the base of our salad. The peppery switch up provides a nice balance to the richer ingredients like bacon and avocado. This salad has a little bit of everything from creamy to crunchy and there is something in it for everyone. We think it is really satisfying for a lunch or dinner entrée, and even like to throw it all on a big platter and serve it family style if we are having people over for dinner.
Everything we love about a BLAT in Caesar salad form!
- 8 cups lightly packed arugula or your favorite salad greens
- 8 slices thick cut bacon
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 avocado, core removed and sliced
Ingredients for The Dressing
- 1 raw egg yolk
- juice and zest from 1 lemon
- 1 glove garlic
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 anchovy fillets (optional)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Lay the bacon onto a cookie sheet in a single layer. Cook the bacon for about 15 minutes, or until it is your desired level of crispiness. Remove the bacon from the cookie sheet and onto a paper towel to remove the excess fat. Set aside.
- While the bacon is cooking, make the dressing. Combine the dressing ingredients (egg yolk – anchovy fillets if you are using) in a blender and mix until combined. With the blender running, add the vegetable oil in a steady stream to the remaining ingredients. Blend until the oil is emulsified into the dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Make the salad. Layer the arugula or other salad greens evenly into four bowls. Divide the tomato, avocado and bacon into each of the bowls as well. We prefer to leave the bacon whole for presentation, but you can chop it and add it if that is your preference. Drizzle each of the salads with the Caesar dressing and serve immediately.