Thanks to our love of cooking, one of the gifts we most often receive are oils and spices from our friends and family after they go on a vacation. Over the years we have accumulated paprika from Hungary, tzatziki blends from Greece, olive oil from Italy, and more red spices from the Middle East than we could possibly know what to do with. To try and keep things fresh in our kitchens, we made a resolution to start using all of these pantry items up! While it’s fun to save them from memories of our own travel, the truth is that items like olive oils really are meant to be used as oils go rancid and spices lose their flavor over time.
One of the spices that we acquired was a shawarma seasoning blend. We love these flavors and cook with them often, but rarely use this spice mix. To mix things up from the traditional chicken shawarma that we know and love, we decided to make these vegetarian sweet potato bowls. The bowls are filled with crispy chickpeas, an herby tomato and cucumber salad, and of course, sweet potato fries. Everything comes together with a homemade tahini dressing for a lunch or dinner that is exploding with tons of flavor. We promise that this dish makes healthy eating truly enjoyable.
Sweet Potato Shawarma Bowls
A hearty and healthy vegetarian recipe that is bursting with shawarma flavors.
Base ingredients for the Bowls
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut into large french fries
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup neutral oil (avocado or vegetable)
- 1/4 cup shawarma seasoning
- 6 cups lightly packed arugula or your favorite leafy green
- 2 cups cooked farro
Ingredients for the Tomato Cucumber Salad
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 Persian cucumbers, diced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for the Tahini Dressing
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 2 tbs olive oil
- zest and juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1/4 cup cold water (or more if you prefer a looser dressing)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Drizzle the sweet potatoes and chickpeas with the neutral oil and sprinkle with the shawarma seasoning and salt to taste. Toss well to coat. Lay the sweet potatoes and chickpeas on a large cookie sheet, making sure that there is enough room for the sweet potatoes and chickpeas to lay side by side in a single layer. If you need to divide amongst two cookie sheets, no problem. Bake the sweet potatoes and chickpeas for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, flip the sweet potato fries with a spatula and toss the chickpeas; cook another 10 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are cooked through and crispy on the outside.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, make the tomato and cucumber salad. Combine the ingredients (tomatoes – parsley) in a medium mixing bowl. Gently stir the ingredients and season well with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Make the tahini dressing. Combine the dressing ingredients (tahini – 1/4 cup water) in a small blender. Blend to thoroughly combine and break down the tahini until it is nice and smooth. Depending on how you like the consistency of the dressing, you may add additional water to thin it to your desired consistency. Season the dressing with salt and pepper to taste.
- Make the bowls by layering 1 1/2 cups arugula (or other leafy green) and 1/2 cup cooked farro into each of four bowls. Divide the tomato cucumber salad, sweet potatoes, and chickpeas amongst the four bowls as well. Drizzle with a generous amount of tahini dressing to serve.