One of Calli’s favorite brunch items is a skillet. She will search far and wide to find the perfect combo of crispy potatoes, veggies, meat and cheese. This recipe is inspired by all of our favorite skillet ingredients. We used chorizo and hot sauce in our recipe to give things a southwest twist, but if you are not partial to spicy, swap the chorizo for breakfast sausage and eliminate the hot sauce. The best part of this recipe is that it can be easily adapted to serve as a main meal by adding a few over-easy eggs to the top. However you choose to eat it, we know that it will be the star of your brunch menu.
Chorizo and Veggie Hash
A delicious breakfast hash that can stand on its own or pair perfectly for a full brunch.
- 4 potatoes
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red onion
- 1 lb. chorizo
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup hot sauce (we used Franks)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare the veggies. Dice the potatoes, peppers and onions into small, bite-sized pieces. This step is the key to making this recipe great but is definitely time consuming. We promise that it is worth the extra effort.
- In a cast iron skillet, add the chorizo over medium heat. Use your spatula to break the chorizo into pieces. Cook for 8-10 minutes until the chorizo is fully cooked through. Set aside in a bowl.
- Using the fat from the chorizo, add the potatoes, peppers and onions to the cast iron. Add the salt and pepper and toss everything well in the pan so that the veggies get nice and crispy. Cook another 5-7 minutes.
- Add the chorizo, hot sauce and cheese into the pan with the vegetables and give everything a quick stir so the ingredients are mixed together. Place the cast iron in the oven for 20 minutes so that the cheese is melted and the veggies are thoroughly cooked through. Serve hot!