Most people have some sort of a sweet potato dish on their Thanksgiving menu. Most of the dishes are sweet, and even marshmallow covered, but this year we wanted to test the boundaries and do something different. The name of this recipe gives away everything that is unique and amazing about this sweet potato dish. A dash of whiskey? Yes please. Cookie butter? Duh. Wait… cookie butter in sweet potatoes?! Yep, we did that. Our favorite Speculoos Cookie Butter from Trader Joe’s has made it into this year’s menu. Despite what you might think, we love this dish because it isn’t overly sweet. The whiskey helps to temper the sweetness of the cookie butter and makes the sweet potatoes a bit more savory. If you prefer your rendition of Thanksgiving sweet potatoes to be more on the sweet side, add another 1/4 cup of sugar to the glaze and top with marshmallows before putting them in the oven.
Whiskey Soaked Sweet Potatoes with Cookie Butter Crumble
Sweet Potato Ingredients
- 6 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 tbs butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup bourbon (we used Bulleit)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbs pumpkin spice
- 4 tbs butter
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 cup cookie butter (or Speculoos)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large stock pot, bring water to a boil. Add the sweet potatoes and blanch for 6 minutes. Drain the sweet potatoes, rinse with cool water, and set aside. The potatoes should not be cooked through at this point.
- In a large sauté pan, melt the butter over low heat for 6-10 minutes. You want the butter to start browning. Add the brown sugar and whisk until the brown sugar is dissolved, approximately 4 minutes. Add the whiskey and whisk continuously for 3 minutes. The mixture will begin to bubble and thicken.
- Add the sweet potatoes, pumpkin spice and salt and stir until the sweet potatoes are thoroughly covered with the whiskey glaze.
- Spray a medium baking dish with cooking spray. Pour the sweet potatoes and glaze into the baking dish so that there is an even layer. Set aside.
- Make the crumble. In a small sauce pan, with the heat on medium, add the butter until melted. Stir in the ground almonds and sauté for 5 minutes until the almonds are toasted. Add the cookie butter and stir until the cookie butter is melted through. Pour the crumble mixture over the top of the sweet potatoes and spread evenly.
- Bake the sweet potatoes in the oven for 30 minutes and serve immediately. If the cookie butter crumble is starting to brown, cover with foil and continue cooking until the sweet potatoes are tender and cooked through.