We love going out to brunch and very much love the trend of fancy toast. What we can’t get over, however, is paying $13 for a piece of toast that costs just a few dollars to make at home. We love to have a fancy toast to mix up our breakfast routine or even in a pinch as a lazy dinner. This sweet and slightly spicy version uses some unusual ingredients and isn’t your average avocado toast. A thick slice of crunchy toast is the perfect vessel for rich and creamy labneh, sliced figs, and a drizzle of honey. We top the toast with a pinch of red pepper flakes and sea salt to add some heat to the sweet, and think the result is pretty dreamy.
Fancy Toast: Fig Edition
Makes: 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 15 minutes
- 4 thick slices of toast- sourdough, seeded, whatever you like!
- 2 tbs butter, room temperature
- 1 container (about 10 oz) labneh
- 8 figs, sliced and stem removed
- 2 tbs honey + more for drizzling on top
- sea salt
- red pepper flakes, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the slices of toast onto a cookie sheet. Spread the butter evenly on each of the slices- this is to make sure the toast gets nice and crispy before you top them. Bake the slices of toast for 7-10 minutes, or until the toast is crunch but still has some give in the center (we don’t want croutons!).
- While the toast is in the oven, use a fork or small whisk to whisk the honey and just a tiny pinch of red pepper flakes into the labneh.
- When the toast has finished in the oven, top each slice with a generous dollop of the labneh. Top each with the slices of two figs, a drizzle of honey, a pinch of sea salt, and a tiny pinch of red chili flakes. Serve immediately.