If you are practicing social distancing these days, you might be itching for some entertainment beyond Netflix and reading the news on Twitter. This homemade granola recipe goes back to the first job that Tuck’s mom had out of culinary school. It is very healthy by granola standards and you most likely already have everything in your cupboards, so no need to go to the grocery store! We use it to top smoothies and yogurts and even eat it with milk like cereal. When it comes to the “toppings” in the recipe we really encourage you to use what you already have in your kitchen. Those little pre-made salad bags that come with cranberries and nuts? Throw those packets in there! That random, almost empty bag of almonds that’s been collecting dust in your cabinet? Yep, throw those in too. This is a great recipe to transform what you already have into something new and exciting.
Makes: 3+ cups (around 6 servings)
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 2 tbs melted butter
- 2 tbs maple syrup or honey
- 4 tbs water
- 2 cups instant oats
- 2 tbs flax seeds
- 2 tbs sesame seeds
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 4- 1/3 cup measurements of toppings: this can be a mix of nuts and dried fruits. We used 1/3 cup each banana chips, dried cranberries, sliced almonds, and pistachios. Use what you have!
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Whisk the melted butter, maple syrup, and water in a large mixing bowl. Add the oats, cinnamon, flax seeds, sesame seeds, shredded coconut, and pinch of salt to the bowl. Mix very well so that everything is combined.
- The next step is important for good results. We add a 1/3 cup measurement of 4 different toppings to mix it up. If you are using any dried fruit, leave the fruit out of the granola until after it has finished baking. The same goes for any nuts that have already been roasted. The only thing you should add before baking are raw nuts.
- Spread the granola into an even layer on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove from the oven and give everything a good stir. Bake for another 10 minutes. Cool completely and add any roasted nuts or dried fruits to the mix. Store in an airtight container for up to three months.