Nothing says “simple elegance” like a good chocolate covered strawberry. We love this simple dessert for our Academy Awards celebration this Sunday because they can be made in advance and our guests can pick on them as they watch the show. No silverware and extra dishes necessary! The key to taking your strawberries to the next level is in the decorating. Going the extra mile of using both dark chocolate and white chocolate really gives the strawberries a necessary contrast in colors.
Chocolate Covered Strawberries
Makes: 18 strawberries
Prep and Decorating Time: 30 minutes Cooling Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 18 small to medium strawberries, rinsed and dried
- Put the dark chocolate and white chocolate in separate metal bowls.
- Fill a small sauce pot with an inch or two of water and put over medium high heat. Bring the water to a very light simmer and put the chocolate bowls over the water one at a time, until the chocolate is melted. Stir the chocolate as it melts, and once you’ve removed it from the water, to help distribute the heat evenly. Place the bowls on a kitchen towel to keep them warm and reheat over the water as necessary.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
- Dip half of the strawberries in the white chocolate and place them onto parchment paper. Dip the other half of the strawberries in the dark chocolate and place them onto parchment paper. Let the strawberries sit for about 10 minutes so that the chocolate can set. If you want to put them in the refrigerator to expedite the process, that works as well.
- Make two paper cones out of parchment paper. Take a piece of parchment paper and fold it into a right triangle. Use a scissor to carefully cut along the long end of the triangle, forming two separate right triangles. From there, follow this steps in this tutorial to make two paper cones.
- Use a paper cone to decorate the strawberries. Fill one of the paper cones with the remaining dark chocolate and the other with the white chocolate. Gently squeeze the cone to release the chocolate in a drizzle over each strawberry, drizzling the white chocolate on the dark chocolate strawberries and vice versa. Let the strawberries sit for at least 30 minutes so the chocolate can set, or put in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to expedite. Serve at room temperature.