You may see this post and think “are they serious? More dessert on Halloween?!” Our short answer is YES! While the kids are out trick or treating, we like to have this easy and elevated dessert for the adults. It is wild how a simple step of browning the butter completely changes the taste of a traditional rice krispie treat. The desserts have a slightly nutty taste that compliments all of the sweet marshmallowy goodness inside. We particularly like that these treats can be made ahead of time so that there is less to prepare on Halloween day.
Browned Butter Rice Krispies
An elevated spin on the classic rice krispy treat
- 5 tbs butter
- 6 cups plain rice krispies
- 12 giant puff marshmallows
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Line a 9×13 baking dish with parchment paper and spray on both sides with cooking spray.
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Continue to cook the butter for 5-7 minutes until it is browned. The butter will initially boil and bubble and then will settle down as it starts to brown. Monitor it closely during this time and lower the heat when it starts to have a nutty aroma.
- Add the marshmallows and stir consistently with a spatula until the marshmallows are melted and full incorporated.
- Add the vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Stir until the ingredients are thoroughly combined. Turn off the heat.
- Stir in the rice krispies until the cereal is fully coated in the marshmallow mix. Pour the mix into the greased baking dish and spread/pat evenly to form a single layer. Let cool and cut into desired shapes. Serve immediately or store in a tightly sealed container and save for later.