It was Jamie’s birthday this weekend, and to celebrate we had palomas on repeat all weekend long. We are admittedly not big cocktail drinkers, but were first introduced to palomas a few years ago at a restaurant in Nashville called Butchertown Hall. The menu is a bit Mexican, a bit barbecue, and they have an amazing happy hour that we frequented regularly that baseball season. The cocktail that tied everything from brisket to queso and guac together was their paloma. If you are unfamiliar, a paloma is a cocktail traditionally made from tequila and grapefruit soda. The punch of the tequila with the citrus of the grapefruit was the perfect balance to offset rich and smoky brisket. We make ours with a combination of fresh grapefruit juice, La Croix grapefruit club soda, agave, and lots of lime to give them an extra kick of citrusy flavor. It’s a great way to celebrate spring and we would love to share one with you virtually to celebrate Jamie’s birthday!
If you love a citrusy cocktail, this paloma is for you! We love the mix of the grapefruit with tequila for the ultimate citrusy spring cocktail.
- 4 oz of your favorite tequila blanco
- 3 oz fresh grapefruit juice
- juice from one lime
- 1 tbs agave
- 3 oz La Croix pamplemousse club soda
- additional lime and grapefruit segments, for garnish (optional)
- Combine the tequila, grapefruit juice, lime juice, and agave in a cocktail shaker. Shake well to combine.
- Pour a few ice cubes into each of two cocktail glasses. Divide the tequila cocktail mix into each of the glasses and top with the grapefruit club soda. Serve immediately with additional grapefruit and lime segments, if desired.