When we told our parents that we were recreating “Rick’s” chopped salad for the blog, both of our parents insisted that this was actually “Cathy’s” chopped salad. Since the owner of the salad is an even 2 to 2 split vote in our house, they both are getting credit. Welcome to the blog, mom! We love this salad because it is lettuce free! Don’t get us wrong, we enjoy our lettuce salads, but there is something special about a salad that is filled with just the ingredients you love and no fluff. Because there is no lettuce, this salad can be made in advance and also holds up great as leftovers. No seriously, it does. As two people who will always throw leftover salad away, this is our one exception because nothing will wilt or change in texture overnight. We will serve this as a side salad for dinner one night and then top the leftover with chicken for lunch the next day. A perfect salad to add to your weekly rotation.
Rick and Cathy's Chopped Salad
- 1 stalk celery, stem and leaves removed
- 1 lb baby carrots
- 1 English cucumber
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can black olives, sliced in half
- 1 can hearts of palm
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- Prepare the vegetables by chopping everything into bite sized pieces.
- Place all of the vegetables, chickpeas, olives and heart of palm into a large salad bowl and mix to combine.
- Add the olive oil, salt and a few turns of black pepper. Toss the salad to combine the ingredients. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.